That Was The Year That Was (Part3)
Thursday November 26, 2015
No matter what sport you follow there’s always a bit of magic in the air when the cup comes around…

Unfortunately for us up in the commentary box there was a lot of other things in the air the night that Workington came to town defending a 13 point lead. To be fair the Comets arrived with a patched up team so were always up against it but that didn’t stop their noisy fans shouting all sorts at us in the box presumably mistaking Camera Ken and I for the referee! Well he did train as a ref once but I’ve never wanted to get involved in the ‘hardest game in the world’ and after that night I know I’d made the right decision.

Redcar’s visit on May Bank Holiday Monday found me searching through updates in the middle of a trip to Paris for the French Open tennis. While football occupies the winter months its hard to balance my two summer sporting loves on occasions so it was time for Camera Ken to go solo and me to be denied the chance to ruin another programme. I’m afraid even after too many years to mention following speedway I’m still lousy at filling out a programme. I have great respect for those people who do it with meticulous accuracy while mine looks like something a four year old has had a good time with.

Back in Hertfordshire I was able to witness another home win over Berwick on a day that was almost tropical compared to the previous occasions I’d watched the Bandits. Anyone who follows this column knows like the temperature at football is described using the Watford v Bury 1999 scale (I’ve never been so cold!) speedways climate uses the Berwick method in honour of the year Camera Kens lens almost froze mid meeting.

Two good home wins behind them it seemed like the boys were on a bit of a roll but then came 6 weeks without a home meeting! No one liners in the box, no interrupting Team Manager John’s post meeting apple, no escaping Ant & Dec and as it turned out no Kasper. Fast becoming the Danish version of Frank Spencer (Nogle mødre har dem… you'll need Google translate to work that out) the lad had fallen in the Danish Championships breaking his collarbone to add to the knee ligaments he strained early in the season. It was to prove a crushing blow as even with the knee brace he had been flying.

By the time Sunday 12th July arrived Mrs H was there pushing me out of the door! With a great sense of irony it was actually sunny and who were the visitors again but Berwick. This time though our brave lads looked as rusty as my back gate and the Bandits took maximum advantage taking away a 6 point lead which seemed to have put the tin hat on our cup hopes. Worse was to come as next up were the big spending Glasgow Tigers and on a torrid night we only had five race wins to celebrate. Oh well there was always a trip to Edinburgh to look forward to......